Booking Through Thursday: In or Out?

BTT asked: Do you consider yourself an extrovert or an introvert?

My answer:  I think the answer depends on your definition of extrovert and introvert.  I used to think that extrovert=talkative and introvert=shy.  Then I learned (or probably read somewhere) that it’s more about how you obtain energy.  For example, extroverts feel energized when they are around other people.  Introverts need alone time to recharge their batteries.

So, based on that, I’d say I’m in between.  I love people and spending time with friends, being with a huge group of people, even being in crowds.  But I also enjoy spending time alone and, when I am alone, I don’t feel bored or antsy or like I need to go out and talk to someone.  I can enjoy both equally.  I’ve taken personality tests as well and got results as both an introvert and an extrovert.  So I’d say I’m somewhere down the middle.  If I had to choose a side, then probably slightly more extrovert because I love spending time with people and can be quite chatty.

Also, if you are an introvert, it’s not a bad thing at all!  I used to be very quiet and shy when I was younger and thought I was an introvert.  I felt really bad about it and almost embarrassed.  So I recommend reading this book, The Introvert Advantage.  It shows that there are advantages to being an introvert and it’s nothing to be ashamed of.

What about you?  And what do you think the definition of introvert and extrovert are?
Edit/Update: I just came across another book that’s much newer called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain.  The author also did a TED talk recently.

This entry was posted in Booking Through Thursday and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Booking Through Thursday: In or Out?

1. tcabn says:

I am embracing my inner introvert – but finding balance is good. Great post and book recommendation!

My BTT

@TCAbn The Motley Chronicles

• Book Nympho says:

Yes, balance is good. I find myself sometimes struggling against my own inner introvert. Sometimes I just don’t feel like talking to anyone and feel like I should, but then I realize it’s okay to spend time alone. There’s no right or wrong, just do what you want and be yourself. Thanks for commenting! :)

2. Danielle says:

Very interesting! I’ve considered myself an extrovert since I was about 12/13 years old. Before that I was VERY shy. But I never knew about the whole energy thing. Based on that, I’d say I was closer to the middle, but probably still closer to the extrovert end. Like you, I enjoy spending time with people and going out, but more often I’d rather hang out at someone’s house than at a club. Though I do enjoy a good bar every now and again!

I also enjoy some good alone time too, whether just to veg out on the couch and watch TV, or read a book, or knit.

3. You hit on that key word – energy. It’s interesting to think of it as how we obtain energy. I wonder if that’s why some people leave you feeling like they’ve taken all your energy with them! :)

• Book Nympho says:

Yes, that’s certainly true depending on the people you spend time with. Even people who are really extroverted can get their energy sucked away by negative people!

4. Valentina says:

Good answer. So true, it really does come down to how we each recharge our batteries :)

5. wcs53 says:

Great answer and thanks for sharing the book. If I don’t have at least one day a week away from people doing my own thing and recharging my batteries I can be unpleasant to be around! My BTT: