Top Ten Tuesday is an awesome bookish meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week I’ll be sharing new authors I read for the first time in 2013.
1. Elizabeth Peters: I read the first book in her Amelia Peabody series, Crocodile on the Sandbank. There are 19 books in this series and she’s also written two other series so I have plenty more I can read from her.
2. Marne Davis Kellogg: I loved the Kick Keswick series and recently found out there is another book out in it that I can’t wait to get my hands on.
3. James Smythe: I read The Explorer and loved it. I can’t wait to read the sequel, The Echo, and The Machine.
4. Roger Hobbs: His debut novel, Ghostman, was such a fun read and I’d love to read anything else he’s written. According to Goodreads, he has a book called Vanishing Games coming out in July 2014 so I’ll be keeping my eyes open for that one.
5. Robin Sloan: I loved Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore and will keep my eyes out for his future novels.
6. Wesley Chu: I read The Lives of Tao earlier in the year and haven’t yet picked up the sequel, but can’t wait to read it.
7. Cecile David-Weill: I’d never heard of this author until I read The Suitors which I was so surprised to enjoy. It’ll be great if some of her other works get translated into English.
8. Jane Austen: Austen isn’t a new author because I’ve known about her for years, but I just got around to reading something by her this year. I read both Pride and Prejudice and then Sense and Sensibility and can’t wait to read more.
9. Robert T. Bakker: I read Raptor Red way back in January and it was one of the more unique and interesting books I’ve come across.
10. Ben H. Winters: I loved The Last Policeman and couldn’t wait to read the sequel which was also great. Now I’m excited for the third and final book in the trilogy.
There were quite a few other new authors I read for the first time in 2013 but those 10 were the most memorable. Here are some more new authors in case you’re interested:
- Lisa O’Donnell: author of The Death of Bees
- Katherine Applegate: author of The One and Only Ivan
- Robin McKinley: author of Beauty
- Mark Dunn: author of Ella Minnow Pea
- Chris Wooding: author of Retribution Falls (the first book in the Tales of the Ketty Jay series)
- Maria Semple: author of Where’d You Go, Bernadette
- Matt Haig: author of The Humans
- Ann Brashares: author of My Name is Memory
- Amor Towles: author of Rules of Civility
- Stephen P. Kiernan: author of The Curiosity
- Will McIntosh: author of Love Minus Eighty
- Marisha Pessl: author of Night Film
- Peter Clines: author of Ex-Heroes (the first book in the Ex-Heroes series)
What new authors did you discover in 2013? Which books of theirs should I pick up in 2014?